EDUCATION, RESEARCH, and COMMUNITY SUPPORT
The mission of the Montana Farm Bureau Foundation (MFBFo) is to support Montana agriculture through education, research, and community support, with a special emphasis for the development of our youth.
2018 Youth Speech Contest
One of our Foundation's most important goals is to help with agricultural education and the leadership development of Montana's youth. This speech contest fits that goal and we are offering great prizes to make this an exciting opportunity.
- This contest is open to students in the 7th, 8th and 9th grade.
- Prepared speech needs to be between 2.5 - 4 minutes in length.
- Contestants must submit a transcript of their speech by March 9, 2018. Those will be judged prior to the FFA State Convention and the top 20 contestants will be invited to compete during the event.
- The contest will be April 5, 2018 from 8:00 – 10:00 AM – Madison Room at the Radisson Hotel Billings.
Speech topic: How can you use social media to positively impact the public perception of Montana agriculture? Areas of consideration may be:
- Public perception that the majority of agricultural production comes from “factory farms”, rather than family farms and ranches.
- Common consumer sentiment that technology used in agricultural production such as genetically modified organisms, pesticides and the use of antibiotics for animal welfare create an unhealthy food supply and environment.
Prizes: 1st place = $400.00, 2nd = $300.00, 3rd = $200.00, 4th = $100 and 5th = $50.
How does the MFB Foundation carry out its mission? Assisting in Education: Whether it’s funding an adult agricultural education program or providing materials to urban students, we realize that our support is fundamental in providing future leaders with the knowledge and skills they need in order to be effective. Encouraging Research: Recent improvements in technology have made agriculture both more efficient and more productive. In order to ensure and continue this current progression and to give Montana’s producers the most up-do-date information, we work closely with similarly-interested groups such as the College of Agriculture at MSU-Bozeman. Supporting Montana’s Rural Communities: Agriculture reaches every corner of the state and is the main artery of rural Montana. In giving youth the opportunity for leadership and offering educational programs, we work to broaden the impact of Montana agriculture.
With continued support, the MFB Foundation is able to offer yearly programs in an effort to promote youth education in agriculture, including: the annual Youth Speech Contest, Mini Grants throughout the year, the Bernard Greufe Honorary Scholarship, the Young Farmer and Rancher (YF&R) Scholarship to the American Farm Bureau Federation national YF&R leadership conference in February. Many other programs and funding opportunities support groups such as Agriculture in Montana Schools, Montana 4-H, Montana FFA, REAL Montana and the Montana State University College of Agriculture.
MFBFo is a qualified charity under IRS tax code 501 (c) (3) making all donations tax deductible for our supporters.
For more information on ways you can “Invest in the Future of Agriculture” by supporting the Montana Farm Bureau Foundation, please call the state office at 1-800-823-2676 or email Scott Kulbeck at firstname.lastname@example.org.Donate
|APPLICATION TITLE||APPLICATION YEAR||FILE TYPE|
|MFB Foundation Collegiate YF&R Scholarship||2018|
|MFB Foundation Mini Grant Application - Now $1,000||2018|
|Women's Leadership Committee Scholarship||2018|
|Bernard Greufe Honor Scholarship||2018|
|Future of Agriculture Honor Scholarship - Now $1,500||2018||PDFPublic perception that the majority of agricultural production comes from “factory farms”, rather than family farms and ranches.|