Supporting youth in agriculture is sweet
It’s fair season and that means livestock auctions are right around the corner. There’s nothing better than supporting young agriculturalists and getting a freezer full of meat in return. The county fair is an opportunity for folks to take a break from chores at home in order to come to town and support local youth.
Make it a sweet tradition
It’s a sweet tradition for Yellowstone County Farm Bureau to sponsor and serve dessert at the 4-H livestock auction buyer’s supper during the MontanaFair in Billings. Hundreds of 4-H and FFA members exhibit and auction their livestock projects at the MontanaFair and that brings hundreds of hungry buyers and community members to their sale dinner. In the recent past, Yellowstone County Farm Bureau members have served cheesecake at the buyer’s supper. Capitalizing on the visibility of the community and pairing it with sponsoring youth involved in agriculture makes for an excellent activity for a County Farm Bureau.
Connect with your local 4-H Extension Agent or FFA Advisor
- What portion of their buyer’s dinner needs sponsorship?
- Could they use a hand serving or with cleanup?
- Maybe a few members could also assist during the sale.
Make it easy on your volunteers: choose desserts that are simple!
- Cakes, Brownies, Bars = simple to cut and plate
- Ice Cream Sundae Bar = Scoop the ice cream and provide a variety of toppings
- Cookies = delicious and simple!
Promote your County Farm Bureau
- Hang your County Farm Bureau Banner
- Set up a few membership brochures and applications
- Contact your Regional Manager for promotional items and giveaways
- Chat with folks as they go through the line!
Don’t forget about the Montana Farm Bureau Foundation
As part of its mission, the Montana Farm Bureau Foundation has a special emphasis on agricultural education and youth development. Supporting programs like 4-H and FFA on the local level is one way your County Farm Bureau is helping carry the MFBFo mission. The MFBFo accepts donations at any time so that they can continue to invest in the future of Montana Agriculture. Ask your Regional Manager to provide a few brochures and donation slips to include in your display. You never know- if buyers already have their checkbook ready to support youth in Ag, they might also be willing to support the MFBFo!