This time of year we are all working on getting ready for spring, which means hauling in supplies or lifting and moving things during winter cleaning or re-organizing. There should be a reminder to get help with heavy items.
- Lift with your legs and not your back.
- Make sure you have good “gripping” gloves or very secure handholds on items moved.
- Check out your footing including clearing pathways, using good footwear, clearing ice and snow, have good lighting, tie up all shoe laces or shoe or boot straps.
- Do not stack items where they will fall over or will be in the way of other items being moved.
- Plan your move first and address any safety issues and mitigate them before you start your projects.
- When loading into a pickup, truck, or other vehicle, clear anything that might get in the way of the process, secure all items so there is nothing dropped or spilled, use correct tractor/loader or forklift/bobcat practices.
- Identify all overhead lines and obstacles before you start your moves.
Create a Culture of Safety in all of your activities. Get signed up for the MT Ag Safety Program and get a double refund when available on premiums paid into Workers Compensation Insurance. Call 406-860-6129 for more information, or visit www.mtagrisafety.com.