Summary: Position requires a broad skill set and encompasses a range of responsibilities that support the organizational goals of the Montana Farm Bureau Federation. This position is responsible for working with state and local policy makers on issues important to the agriculture industry in Montana, negotiating with lawmakers to achieve positive outcomes for Montana agriculture and including and engaging Farm Bureau membership in these efforts.
Position is located at the MFBF office in Bozeman, MT and is a permanent, full-time salaried position.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Organize and lead lobbying efforts at the state level.
- Collaborate with appropriate staff to assist with national lobbying efforts.
- Engage Farm Bureau members in communicating with local and state-wide lawmakers on issues of importance.
- Serves as primary liaison between MFBF and state-agencies.
- Works with state-agencies and attends legislative interim committee meetings.
- Manage Voter Voice communication system to activate membership when appropriate.Organize and prepare all election materials for MFBF Annual Convention.
- Coordinate and facilitate Farm Bureau PAC, policy development activities, ACE Advocacy Program and the Campaign Management School.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities
- Knowledge and understanding of the mission, goals and organization of Farm Bureau is necessary but not required.
- Previous experience in the field of governmental affairs is necessary.
- Knowledge of agriculture is required; background in production agriculture is helpful but not required.
- Possess strategic and operational understanding of government procedures and processes at the State and local levels and knowledge of public information and government relations concepts, principles, methodology, and techniques.
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to deal credibly and effectively with State leadership, Legislators, legislative staff, state agencies, other industry organizations and MFBF membership.
- Ability to exercise judgment, initiative, and independent decision making.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to travel in and out of state frequently.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, boards of directors and MFBF membership.
- Possesses strong writing ability and is familiar with writing for blogs, press releases, opinion editorials and official comments on proposed regulations and rules.
- Possesses a keen attention to detail and exemplary time management skills.
- MFBF fosters a supportive, fun and creative work environment. Employees are encouraged to utilize their own talents, experience and expertise to grow and develop programs and projects in their purview.
- Work is primarily independent, but must be able to work in a creative, collaborative style with other staff and often be willing to provide input, effort and time into projects and tasks as a group.